THE LOCH LONG TORPEDO RANGE sits derelict on the banks of Loch Long after having been in operation from 1912 to 1986. The remnants of the range have a ghostly presence and also contain some interesting modern graffiti. The old buildings and pier sit on the western shore of the loch, opposite the small village of Arrochar.
In the summer of 1907, Scottish newspapers announced new plans to build a torpedo test station near Loch Long. Many people began to fear that the lake would be taken over and the station would negatively affect the water, fishing, and tourism. In addition, passing ships might be accidentally damaged by the tests.A large number of objections to the proposal prompted the county council to file a formal objection. They demanded an investigation so that anyone who disagreed could express their point of view. Ultimately, all protests were dismissed, and in 1908, a contract was signed with the construction firm McAlpine.Construction of the Loch Long Torpedo Range was completed in 1912, following which the test station was transferred to the Royal Navy. It was generally known as Loch Long Torpedo Range but was sometimes also referred to as the Arrochar Torpedo Range due to its proximity to the village of Arrochar.